Star Tribune, the largest and most-trusted news organization in the Midwest, is seeking a DevOps Engineer to join the Star Tribune Digital team. As a DevOps Engineer, you will join a team with competitive pay and a great work-life balance. Our team has adopted a “work remote” approach which will allow you to find the most productive space for yourself, including our world-class headquarters in downtown Minneapolis. The Star Tribune Digital team is focused on creating a robust technical platform to support our consumer facing applications across Desktop, Mobile and Native Apps which is seen by half a million people every day.
Star Tribune is looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer to work in a fast-paced, agile environment to join our Digital Operations team. This team has a multifaceted role in Star Tribune’s creation and deployment of new media systems. We work within and alongside a world-class news organization to ensure stability, performance, and continuous improvement.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will be responsible for planning and maintaining the AWS architecture that hosts StarTribune.com and all our consumer facing online products. A successful candidate will have experience working in a Cloud-based infrastructure, building an infrastructure that is scalable, secure, and cost effective. Experience in building proactive monitoring and alerting systems that get the team out in front of issues before they are noticeable by the general audience is a plus.
This position has will create iterative, meaningful improvements in both the day-to-day quality of life for the overall engineering department as well as in the core infrastructure that we support. Candidates who are future thinking, organized and have a good communication/collaboration style will excel the most in this role.
- Participate in strategic, capacity, and performance planning for server infrastructure
- Assist with implementation of an internal Platform as a Service
- Develop internal tools and systems and write custom integrations for various applications and vendor API’s
- Maintain and refine configuration management and process automation systems
- Identify and recommend new technologies that will further benefit our systems and network operations
- Analyze and recommend new directions for all layers of our operational software stack, including operating systems, distributions, and services
- Identify opportunities for improving security, reliability, and scalability of server infrastructure
- Work with other teams in the organization to improve developer and designer workflow and communication
- Take part in 24/7 on-call rotations
- Work with your peers as a subject matter expert on server technologies, automation, and IaaS services
- 3+ years of related experience, preferably in cloud-based environments
- Experience with AWS CloudWatch, EC2, ECS, ECR, and RDS
- Experience with Docker or other container-based technologies
- Experience with orchestration management tools like Ansible, Terraform, and/or Cloudformation
- Familiarity with Linux and/or macOS command-line tools
- Experience writing shell scripts to automate tasks
- Experience with application metrics and performance monitoring, such as CloudWatch Metrics, Datadog, or similar
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or granted an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief
- Familiarity with network protocols and the OSI model
- Experience writing APIs and server dæmons in Python, PHP, Node.js, and/or Go
- Proficiency in continuous integration, build, and orchestration tools like CircleCI, Rundeck, Jenkins, etc.
- Knowledge of deploying applications written in PHP, Node.js, Python, and/or Go
- Knowledge of in-memory datastores like memcached and Redis
- Database administration experience, as well as knowledge of cloud based relational databases.
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Capella Tower Health Club in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; pet insurance and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts!
Star Tribune is committed to creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace, and encourages qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Star Tribune is a Veteran Friendly employer.