As a Director of Engineering, you’ll play a key role in shaping Best Buy’s view experience teams across several domains including Pricing, Deals, and Personalization. You’ll establish and grow a talented team of engineering professionals while embracing inclusive leadership behaviors, working through ambiguity, demonstrating strong attention to detail, and thriving in a fast-paced environment.
This role is hybrid, which means you will work some days on site at a Best Buy location and some days virtually from home or other non-Best Buy location. The specific work arrangements vary by role and team. The recruiter or hiring manager will provide more details during the hiring process.
For this role, you must be located within a driveble distance to our office in Richfield, Minnesota, or Atlanta, Georgia.
What you’ll do
- Lead teams of front-end developers and establish best-practices around agile development principles on a distributed, hybrid team
- Help teams create and optimize agile SDLC practices
- Guide teams as they create and deliver highly scalable experiences for BestBuy.com, Best Buy mobile app, and our retail store locations
- Help build an engineering organization that is cloud oriented and business focused while being proactive at observing, detecting, and remediating issues in the engineering space
- Foster an inclusive work environment, where all team members feel safe and can be at their best while at work
- Partner with product leaders to find solutions for industry leading customer experiences.
- Evaluate emerging trends and patterns and contribute to building an evolutionary architecture that supports the customer demands
- Identify skills and capabilities needed on the team, and work to fill those roles by hiring and training an inclusive, diverse team
- 8 years of relevant experience with a bachelor’s degree OR equivalent relevant professional experience
- 2 years of experience leading engineering teams
- 1 year of experience leading managers
- 3 years of experience using React, React Native and Node.js
- 1 year of experience using Java and Spring
- 2 years of experience leading teams using agile engineering and planning practices such as TDD, CI/CD, emergent design, iterative development, retrospectives, etc.
- Ability to build and optimize web applications and platforms in a cloud environment with a solid understanding of system design
- Ability to lead collaboration between engineers and product managers
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team
- Ability to triage and manage complex, production issues
- Experience with Akamai, GraphQL, and caching strategies
- Passion for staying on top of trends, experimenting with new patterns, participating in technology forums, and mentoring members of the engineering community
What’s in it for you
We’re committed to helping our people thrive at work and at home. We offer generous benefits that address your total well-being and provide support as you need it, especially at key moments in your life.
Our benefits include:
- Competitive pay
- Generous employee discount
- Financial savings and retirement resources
- Support for your physical and mental well-being
As part of the Best Buy team, you’ll help us fulfill our purpose to enrich lives through technology. We bring that to life every day by humanizing and personalizing tech solutions for every stage of life — in our stores, online, and in customers’ homes.
Our culture is built on deeply supporting and valuing our amazing employees who make it all possible. We’re committed to being a great place to work, where you can unlock unique career possibilities. Above all, we aim to provide a place where you can bring your full, authentic self to work now and into the future. Tomorrow works here.™