The Director of Modernization will be responsible for setting the direction of service modernization within Digital, Analytics & Technology. They will craft, maintain, and evolve the modernization mission statement, inclusive of the value proposition in modernizing the BBY ecosystem. They will develop guiding principles and modernization assessments for teams to reference to promote a common understanding of benefits in support of the business, financial, team efficiency, and effectiveness. The Modernization leader will work with senior leaders to initiate and drive modernization initiatives with clearly defined outcomes. They will own the Modernization Roadmap by working with teams to prioritize based on potential synergies between projects and on business value. This Roadmap will serve as direct input for quarterly and annual planning activities within Digital, Analytics & Technology. The Modernization leader will also help promote a culture of incremental modernization and improvement, so modernization is not always viewed as an event.
The Director of Modernization will quickly establish relationships with each of the senior leaders in technology along with their individual leaders to collaborate and help define the overall modernization mission statement. A strong indicator of success will be a clear and concise mission statement that DAT team members can recite on demand followed by guiding principles that are inherently followed for the generation of modernization work. In the spirit of simplification of the Best Buy environment, they will partner with Technology Architecture team members and Engineering Practices leader to identify where standards gaps exist such as in tooling, SaaS / Cloud services, and processes. The evolution of these standards will translate into a reduction in redundant technologies, an increase in code quality, and a consistent method for support.
What you will do:
- Own the Modernization and Simplification portfolio for Digital, Analytics & Technology, and tracking the realization of committed benefits and value.
- Work with the Technology Architecture team to discover and build a service modernization strategy centered around Digital, Analytics & Technology objectives, focus areas include:
- Applications of high risk (i.e. due to lack of support, unacceptable or discouraged arch patterns, security, high expense, etc.)
- Misalignment on overall Cloud strategy.
- Major and strategic bets for Best Buy and scrutinized by the Investor community.
- Opportunities for consolidation, reduction, or simplification
- Formalize and socialize application Cloud maturity assessment.
- Maintain official list of Best Buy services to track the modernization state.
- Work with Platform, Infrastructure & Operations, and Compliance to define standards for Platform capabilities in the Cloud for items such as:
- Monitoring and Alerting
- Identity Access Management
- Access Policies
- Define and build a ‘New Service/Tooling/Application Introduction’ to include but not limited to:
- Alignment with strategic objectives
- Eliminate duplication of functionality across Digital, Analytics & Technology
- Identification of risks and mitigation strategy
- Benefits and how long before benefits are realized
- Implementation plan with milestones and KPIs measured to determine success
- Assessment of priority amongst other initiatives
- Develop guiding principles to assist in establishing criteria for application modernization.
- Identify and prioritize candidate applications for modernizing based on established criteria.
- Lead the creation of a ‘culture of experimentation’ through request process definition, experiment artifact tracking, reporting, lessons learned, and dissemination.
- Establish a framework for assessing directional costs for experimentation through production and include it as part of budget planning.
- Partner with Product and Portfolio Leaders on Quarterly/Annual Planning to support the inclusion of incremental modernization and non-functional features in epics and stories.
- 8 years of relevant experience with a bachelor’s degree OR equivalent relevant professional experience
- 4 years experience in leading modernization efforts. (e.g. digital transformation, Cloud migration, application refactoring to modular architecture, etc.)
- 3 years of experience designing and implementing in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- 2 years of experience managing and leading engineering teams.
- 1 year of experience managing managers
- Comfortable partnering and working with stakeholders at various levels of management and leadership
- Built out and led highly efficient engineering teams leveraging iterative or agile methodologies
- Experience in leading multiple complex and cross-functional initiatives in parallel.
- Ability to focus on details as well as the big picture.
- Strong understanding of implementing using public cloud-native technologies and implications on security, cost, and Engineering
Your experience will complement us if it includes or demonstrates:
- Experience in leading teams supporting revenue generating and mission critical applications.
- Experience in engineering and/or design of applications and services supporting high volumes of transactions.
- Strong history of success in driving technology change across organizations through influence.
- Experience in establishing and leading vision, setting direction, and charting a path for Engineering teams to follow.
- Experience in the development of a curriculum in support of upskilling Engineers (Cloud, Front End Development, Full stack development, etc.)
- Cloud Certifications: AWS Certified Solutions Architect or Google Cloud Architect