The pay range is $109,000.00 – $196,200.00
Pay is based on several factors which vary based on position. These include labor markets and in some instances may include education, work experience and certifications. In addition to your pay, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Target offers eligible team members and their dependents comprehensive health benefits and programs, which may include medical, vision, dental, life insurance and more, to help you and your family take care of your whole selves. Other benefits for eligible team members include 401(k), employee discount, short term disability, long term disability, paid sick leave, paid national holidays, and paid vacation. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond at https://corporate.target.com/careers/benefits.
JOIN US AS A LEAD ENGINEER – HIGH PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING PLATFORM
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America’s leading retailers. Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities and succeed as one Target team. It’s how we care, grow, and win together.
The Target High Performance Distributed Computing team creates the platforms and tools to enable our business partners to make great data-based decisions at Target. This team helps to manage hardware and software for large scale distributed computing, frequently angling towards data analytics and Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning type applications. We help develop the technology that personalizes the guest experience, from product recommendations to relevant ad content. We’re also the source of the data and analytics behind Target’s Supply Chain optimization, fraud detection, demand forecasting and metrics to support our stores. We play a key role in identifying the test-and-measure or A/B test opportunities that continuously help Target improve the guest experience, whether they love to shop in stores or at Target.com.
As a Lead Engineer, you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own and are responsible for the application and platform architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs. You’ll bring innovative ideas and help set the strategy for the future of our platform. You love keeping abreast of the latest industry trends and use them to help you innovate. You have leadership qualities, good judgment, and clear communication skills. If you’re excited to work on a fast-moving, tightly knit team and build solutions to unsolved problems, we want to meet you.
Use your skills, experience, and talents to be a part of groundbreaking and visionary goals.
As a Lead Engineer, you’ll take the lead as you…
- Understand Target’s business and technical environments and assist teams in resolving complex business challenges via current technical solutions by assessing viability/applicability/cost implication through POCs and prototypes.
- Collaborate with technical staff and Enterprise Architecture teams in setting technical direction across platform and drive technology lifecycle management and communication of standards/decisions to the engineering team.
- Build tools and observability for target’s big data, AI and analytical platform.
- Understand data platform and help users build their business usecases in seamless way.
- Lead designing and building the Target platform API with deep focus on non-functional requirements including scalability, availability, performance, etc. while being a strong advocate of extreme agile and DevOps practices across engineers.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of relevant software development and design experience
- Proven track record in writing code that is correct, maintainable, testable, expressive, easy to change, efficient and fault-tolerant
- Detailed knowledge of GNU/Linux OS (at least 5 years of experience w/ administration of production grade services running on Linux servers)
- Strong demonstrated proficiency in Java
- Have deep understanding of some of the following concepts:
- Operating System Architecture, memory management, process scheduling, I/O scheduling
- Networking, technologies, latency, bandwidth
- Benchmarking, Performance Debugging, Performance monitoring
- Limiting-resource Identification
- Have familiarity and experience with the following technologies:
- Hadoop (multi-node fully distributed Hadoop clusters)
- Possess a strong understanding of high-performance, large-scale system architecture design and implementation
- Experience with distributed and parallel processing, computer architecture, operating systems, synchronization, communication
- Experience with modern CI/CD technologies such as Git, Drone, Docker, Artifactory
- Understand business fundamentals and how technologies can support business goals along with how to translate business vision into a technical strategy while understanding the financial implications
- Have proven leadership capabilities, the ability to influence others, interpersonal skills, and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player who understands concepts of teamwork and team effectiveness.
- Have excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills to convey complex technical solutions clearly to an organization
- Have excellent planning and organizational skills
This position will operate as a Hybrid/Flex for Your Day work arrangement based on Target’s needs. A Hybrid/Flex for Your Day work arrangement means the team member’s core role will need to be performedboth onsite at the Target HQ MN location the role is assigned to and virtually, depending upon what your role, team and tasks require for that day. Work duties cannot be performed outside of the country of the primary work location, unless otherwise prescribed by Target. Click here if you are curious to learn more about Minnesota.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Supply Chain Facility or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.