The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for developing mission-critical software and services within a capability area of the SPS Network. This is done by leveraging deep subject matter expertise in software engineering combined with domain-specific knowledge. This position will focus on advancing platform-level services for our Documents capability, the heart of the SPS Network. Within Documents, you’ll lead the development of next-generation solutions for how SPS receives, sends, augments, and validates customer documents while simplifying their experience.
We solve retail supply chain problems by cutting through inefficiency with innovation and automation. At SPS, we empower retailers, suppliers, distributors, grocers, and logistics partners to work better with our people, process, and tech products. We have the world’s largest retail network, and we don’t just lead the industry, we are the industry.
At SPS, we believe every employee makes a difference. We ensure employees have the tools, resources, and training to explore and execute new ideas. Our success comes from playing as a team and always playing to win. Careers don’t just grow here, they’re made here.
What is the day-to-day like?
This role works collaboratively to dive deep into complex technical problems to identify a solution, provide clear rationale for and against alternative approaches, and drive the realization of that solution across teams. This role will also be a leader to improve knowledge within the internal technology community by speaking at meetups, publishing best practices and guardrails, and writing blog posts across the organization. This person will lead across a suite of technical capabilities and teams.
- Drive scalable, observable, performant, available, and reliable systems that meet the needs of SPS customers, teams, and business.
- Will perform in-depth, hands-on technical work with a focus on delivery.
- Be a leader by identifying, adopting, and advancing best practices and technology guardrails.
- Define areas of opportunity to improve our products and services and drive realization across the teams.
- Provide support to stakeholders as needed as part of release activities.
- Mentor the team by training groups on our technology patterns to help grow the skills of others and champion others’ ideas.
- Identify new engineering patterns and technology trends, championing adoption and engagement to achieve increased quality and productivity.
- Participate in speaking at conferences, publishing articles and blog posts, and leading community meetups as a champion promoting SPS, our culture, and our investments.
- Foster strong multi-team morale in a fast-paced, action-packed environment
What experience and skills do you need?
- Bachelor’s degree plus 12 years related experience or 15 years of experience without a degree.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to contribute to multiple projects concurrently.
- Expertise in adopting and driving DevOps and agile product development practices.
- Experience delivering solutions with cloud technologies.
- Experience Java, Spring, Spring Boot
- Defining and developing APIs and microservice-based architectures.
- DevOps and Agile product development
- Experience driving development best practices across multiple teams.
What experience is preferred?
- Experience and delivery of SaaS solutions
- Experience in Supply Chain domain
- Experience with various ERP functionality and architecture
SPS Commerce offers a comprehensive package of benefits including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, paid time-off, 401(k), health and flexible spending accounts, stock purchase plan and more.