soona is looking for a principal full stack software developer with a passion for craft and an eye for quality. at soona you will be a major player in the ongoing development of soona’s unique tech platform and client experience. you will also get to play a vital role in mentoring teammates, developing the department culture, and creating the next wave of exciting tech that will unlock soona’s ability to scale up in 2022 and beyond.
this is a full time position that will report directly to the director of engineering.
soona makes it possible for brands to create professional photo and video starting at $39. our studios give customers a playground for creating their content and our online platform makes it possible for any product company in the world to experience a remote shoot. we are creating a fast casual content revolution!
soona is currently supporting a remote work environment for this role; however, we are currently looking to hire in these states only: California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Texas and Washington with requirements to be able to work in mst or cst time zones. for flex hybrid work environments, we also have office spaces in Denver, Colorado + Minneapolis, Minnesota, if that’s your thing.
about tech at soona:
an ideal candidate can:
- develops proven systems. replicates those systems and approaches across the team so that others may learn from and improve on them.
- deep industry knowledge and awareness of the technical landscape. incorporates this analysis as appropriate into strategy.
- not only leads, but ideates new engineering efforts. provides guidance and vision.
- mentors and actively drives the technical skills of the immediate or extended team with consideration of their career stage and personal trajectory.
- removes barriers by working with others around a shared need or customer benefit.
creates strategies that cross organizational boundaries to achieve broad business goals or influence.
- anticipates issues or implications that their ideas would have on others, and pursues mutually beneficial strategies.
- beyond participating in meetings, thoughtfully creates and leads meetings where helpful.
- sets clear and challenging goals for a portfolio of work, and pursues them with enthusiasm and passion. Understands business objectives and incorporates these into this body of work. critically reviews multiple plans and adjusts as needed.
- drives measurable growth by scaling/mentoring teams, affecting engineering roadmaps positively, managing key metrics, creating research and/or programs.
- partners with other teams to improve the effectiveness of our internal tooling
- creates and maintains internal documentation for the purpose and structure of the systems they’re working on. carefully documents processes that are not clear.
- teaches peers how to set up systems and drive execution plans for features and system improvements.
- coordinates efforts across the team rather than working in a silo. makes sure that people feel included in varying projects, and that their voices are heard.
- manages larger refactors, and/or system upgrades, helps others to do the same or participate. able to estimate scope of work, and when those estimates are off, coordinates with stakeholders like Product Management to address risks, and take ownership.
has experience in:
- bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of experience in the software development field or equivalent
- strong understanding of web architecture and cloud systems
- strong understanding of Ruby on Rails or similar backend technologies
- experience working with a variety of eCommerce platforms
- experience in implementation and deployment of modern web development solutions: Ruby on Rails, Vue.JS, PostgreSQL, AWS, Node, Redis
- strong with relational database design and querying (PostgreSQL)
- experience developing a number of Ruby on Rails multi-tier web-based applications
- experience working with websockets and real time messaging
- experience with developing APIs and Microservices
- experience with Agile methodologies
- experience with advanced image handling and manipulation (bonus)
we can offer:
- starting salary: $190,000 – $220,000 (depending on experience)
- stock options in a booming startup
- benefits & perks + unlimited pto + intentional culture
- really badass headshots
- share their favorite twitter or instagram feed in their cover letter