Working Title: Senior Database Application Developer
Job Class: Information Technology Specialist 4
Agency: Minnesota IT Services
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 8/29/2023
- Closing Date: 9/12/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota IT Services
- Division/Unit: Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday – Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $33.13 – $54.64 / hourly; $69,175 – $114,088 / annually
- Job Class Option: Application
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 – MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Exempt – Administrative
- Telework Eligible: Yes #LI-Hybrid
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
This position is eligible to receive a $3,000 Hiring Bonus! This bonus will be paid in two increments, with the first payment made after successfully passing the probationary period.
A $1,000 Referral Bonus is offered to MNIT staff that recruit new talent who are hired into this position!
To submit your referral, email: email@example.com using subject line ‘Employee Referral’ and include candidate’s name and this job posting ID, prior to candidate being selected.
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
Join the 2,500+ professionals of Minnesota IT Services (MNIT) who connect Minnesotans to services that will improve their lives. This position serves our partners at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA). The MNIT MPCA team provides technical expertise for the organization’s applications and agency-specific support to ensure every Minnesotan has healthy air, sustainable lands, clean water, and a better climate.
This position will provide database application development leadership for new and existing system development projects. The scope of the projects will be broad-based undertakings that will have a high impact on agency-wide processes and procedures. Core development activities will be focused upon creating and implementing PostgreSQL’s PL/pgSQL, procedures, and functions. The projects will require expertise in databases, systems and software analysis, design, development, troubleshooting and integration using PostgreSQL’s PL/pgSQL and other tools or languages as appropriate. A high level of knowledge of the existing technologies, development standards, software development life cycle (SDLC) methodologies, and technical industry best practices will also be required. This position will be involved with the most complex and critical systems at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).
This position is currently eligible for full-time telework:
- Telework for Minnesota IT Services allows an employee to perform work from a telework location and an employee may be required to be in the office based on business needs and other dependencies in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Only candidates located in Minnesota and bordering states (Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin) are telework eligible.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate all of the following qualifications in their resume:
Position requires a minimum of four (4) years of experience programming in the following applications/systems: PostgreSQL, PL/pgSQL, with an emphasis on work with procedures and functions.
Experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience with PostgreSQL development, with an emphasis of work on procedures, and functions.
- Experience with Postgres or Oracle relational database management systems.
- Expertise in writing and tuning SQL queries.
- Experience working on a development team as a data/database developer either in an Agile or Waterfall development methodology.
A Master’s degree in Information Technology or a related field may substitute for three years of experience, OR a related Bachelor’s degree may substitute for two years, OR a related Associate’s may substitute for one year.
It is the policy of Minnesota IT Services that a successful candidate must pass all legally required checks prior to employment which may consist of the following:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past state employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Other legally required checks
Minnesota IT Services will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Experience and competency with PostGIS, spatial data analysis and functions in SQL/P, and geospatial data management.
- Experience and competency in Oracle development, SQL, and PL/SQL.
- Developing applications that follow best practices in relation to secure coding and accessibility.
- Experience in database, systems, software analysis, design, development, troubleshooting, and integration.
- Experience documenting technical processes and procedures.
- Creating applications to work and integrate with Cloud environments such as Azure.
- Working knowledge of web services, especially RESTFUL services
- Experience working as a team member on complex application development projects.
- Knowledge of various methodologies such as MVC, SDLC, ITIL, Project Management roles, Change and Release Management, Technical Design, and Software Development Architecture.
- Experience working with version and source code management tools such as Git and GitLab.
This position is based in St. Paul, Minnesota. This position will require the employee to be in the office based on business needs and other dependencies.