SPS Commerce has an immediate opening for a Software Engineer. The selected candidate will join our transformation team, a group of engineers focused on some of the most critical applications that support our customers’ needs. These applications are processing millions of documents a day, making this role highly impactful for SPS and our customers. This application team role will allow you to focus on business requirements while leveraging our AWS cloud environment, our first-class CI/CD pipelines, and Kubernetes orchestration compute platform. We are looking for someone to join this very talented transformation team and learn why SPS is such a great working environment!
Based in our office in downtown Minneapolis, our hybrid work model provides tremendous flexibility to work the way you work best. Although there is minimal in-office expectation, we do host team and companywide events in person a few times each year.
Does this sound like you?
- You’re passionate around technology and developing best in class SaaS products.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to design and develop automated, scalable solutions for complex problems.
- You are naturally curious with a passion for problem solving.
- You aren’t afraid to ask why something is done a certain way.
Why join SPS?
We solve retail supply chain problems by cutting through inefficiency with innovation and automation. At SPS we empower retailers, suppliers, distributors, grocers, and logistics partners to work better together with our people, our process, and our tech products. We have the world’s largest retail network, and we don’t just lead the industry, we are the industry.
At SPS, we believe every employee makes a difference. We ensure employees have the tools, resources, and training to explore new ideas and execute them. Our success comes from playing as a team and always playing to win. Careers don’t just grow here, they’re made here.
What is the day-to-day like?
The Software Engineer will design, develop, document, test, deploy, and debug new and existing software. This role will create, implement, integrate, and maintain software and system components that deliver value to our customers.
- Work collaboratively with team to design, develop, document test and debug new and existing software.
- Write quality code and tests that are maintainable, accurate, well tested, and following best practices.
- Plan how the code will be monitored and diagnosed to minimize outages.
- Build services and components upon the latest frameworks, platforms, and service providers.
- Monitor dashboards and respond to alerts and keep services running smoothly.
- Partner with experts in specialized areas like usability, cloud automation, and service reliability in a technically complex environment
- Estimate work and timelines with reasonable accuracy and articulate reasoning behind estimates.
- Reduce complexity of work through automation and scaling solutions
- Monitor and help maintain health and availability of systems, apps, and related infrastructure.
- Participate in peer reviews and pair programming, and mentor Associates and new hire.
What experience and skills do you need?
- A bachelor’s degree plus 2 years of software development experience or 5 years of experience without a degree.
- Experience with Agile, Java, containers, and Cloud technologies
- Proven experience writing quality code and tests that are maintainable, accurate, well-tested, and follow best practices.
- Hands-on experience with software development practices and can develop applications that are diverse in scope where good judgement and problem-solving skills are required.
- Understand agile development processes.
- Strong communication skills to proactively communicate status and risks within their team.
What experience is preferred?
- Proficiency in Java development
- Developing and deploying containerized workloads
- CI/CD pipeline
- API development
- AWS/Cloud environment experience
- Database experience
- Test driven development experience
SPS Commerce offers a comprehensive package of benefits including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, paid time-off, 401(k), health and flexible spending accounts, stock purchase plan and more.
** EOE including disability / veteran **