Working Title: System Administrator
Job Class: Information Technology Specialist 3
Agency: Minnesota IT Services
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 11/14/2023
- Closing Date: 11/29/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota IT Services
- Division/Unit: Department of Public Safety/Bureau of Criminal Apprehension
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday – Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $31.47 – $51.73 / hourly; $65,709 – $108,012 / annually
- Job Class Option: Systems Software
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 – MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Telework Eligible: Yes – #LI-Hybrid
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
Join the 2,500+ professionals of Minnesota IT Services (MNIT) who connect Minnesotans to services that will improve their lives.This position serves our partners at the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) within the Department of Public Safety (DPS).MNIT BCA provides comprehensive IT operations and support services, custom application development, and dedicated business-specific support functions for investigative and specialized law enforcement services. You will support an agency that partners withlaw enforcement, public safety, and criminal justice agencies to prevent and solve crimes.
As a System Administrator, you will:
- Analyze, implement and maintain network and security infrastructure equipment in support of BCA and MNJIS systems and services
- Provide assistance and analysis in BCA’s technical projects to ensure technical requirements are met
- Promote the protection of BCA’s data security and privacy
- Conduct system procedural risk analysis and monitoring with various tools
- Administer and monitor server equipment
- Provide analysis of information security monitoring, boundary defense, endpoint defense, information security incident response, and vulnerability and threat management
- Provide expertise in Microsoft Windows Server, Linux/Unix servers, web servers (IIS and Apache), and tools specific to web-enabled systems
This position requires an employee to be onsite at the work location 2 days per week
- Telework for Minnesota IT Services allows an employee to perform work from a remote telework location and an employee may be required to be in the office based on business needs and other dependencies in St Paul, Minnesota.
- Only candidates located in Minnesota and bordering states (Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin) are telework eligible.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate all of the following qualifications in their resume.
This position requires a minimum of three (3) years of experience in performing complex IT system monitoring hardware to implement, configure, and installation of computer systems, including physical and virtual servers and peripheral equipment.
Experience must include:
- Experience with Red Hat Linux Server and patching tools like Red Hat Satellite Server
- Experience with web and application servers, such as Unix Microsoft IIS JBOSS, Tomcat, and Apache Servers
- Experience with monitoring tools and alerts and scanning tools SCOM/SCCM, Nessus Tenable
- Experience with automation tools like Red Hat Ansible and Splunk
- Knowledge of networking, such as Ethernet, TCP/IP
- Ability to deliver effective verbal or written messages that facilitate a mutual understanding on both parties.
- Customer service skills that include active listening, empathy, and problem-solving.
*A Master’s degree in Information Technology or a related field substitutes for three years of experience, OR a related Bachelor’s degree substitutes for two years, OR a related Associate’s substitutes for one year.
It is the policy of Minnesota IT Services that a successful candidate must pass all legally required checks prior to employment which may consist of the following:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and former state employees only) Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- CJIS Fingerprinting
- Drug screen testing
- Other legally required checks
Minnesota IT Services will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
- Knowledge of messaging and system interface technologies including web services, WebSphere MQ, Java Messaging System (JMS), and XML data exchanges
- Advanced knowledge of relational databases including experience designing, developing and supporting SQL Server and Oracle database technologies
- Experience in working in environment using agile frameworks and using technics of Kanban, Scrum.
- Experience with data collection and analsiys tools like Splunk, SCCM and SCOM.
- Well-developed skills in technical and report writing and public speaking, and able to communicate technical details to non-technical people
- Excellent interpersonal and human relations skills to build and maintain good working relationships with clientele and work with many different types of individuals on a day-to-day basis, to lead and work effectively with peers