Working Title: Java Web Application Developer
Job Class: Information Technology Specialist 4
Agency: Minnesota IT Services
**This position was previously announced on 8/5/2023. If you had previously applied for this job, you do not need to reapply.
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 11/16/2023
- Closing Date: 11/27/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota IT Services
- Division/Unit: Minnesota Department of Education (MDE)
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday – Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $33.13 – $54.64 / hourly; $69,175 – $114,088 / annually
- Job Class Option: Object Oriented
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 – MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Exempt – Administrative
- Telework Eligible: Yes #LI-Hybrid
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
Join the 2,500+ professionals of Minnesota IT Services (MNIT) who connect Minnesotans to services that will improve their lives. This position serves our partners at the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE). MNIT MDE manages the technical functions critical to managing public education in Minnesota; supporting systems including funding disbursement and large-scale, public-facing school performance data reporting.
The Java Web Application Developer will support the agency’s custom-developed web-based applications effort. This position is responsible for designing and implementing large and complex computer systems, supporting existing web-based computer programs, and participating in the technical design of agency systems, business practices and process automation. This position may be required to lead other IT professionals in development efforts. Application developers in this position are required to work with agency senior management to analyze business processes and suggest and design automation procedures to make the work of the agency more efficient.
This position is currently eligible for full-time telework:
- Telework for Minnesota IT Services allows an employee to perform work from a remote telework location and an employee may be required to be in the office based on business needs and other dependencies in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Only candidates located in Minnesota and bordering states (Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin) are telework eligible.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate all of the following qualifications in their resume:
Position requires a minimum of four (4) years of experience in developing complete object-oriented Java web applications including analysis, design, implementation, build scripting, and unit testing.
Experience must include:
- Java web application development frameworks (Spring, Spring Boot), web application security integration, database integration, and performance analysis.
- Java build script development experience
- SQL relational database design and coding experience
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying cloud-native applications on Azure or AWS
A Master’s degree in Information Technology or a related field may substitute for three years of experience, OR a related Bachelor’s degree may substitute for two years, OR a related Associate’s may substitute for one year.
It is the policy of Minnesota IT Services that a successful candidate must pass all legally required checks prior to employment which may consist of the following:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past state employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Other legally required checks
Minnesota IT Services will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Six or more years of experience developing complete object-oriented Java web applications including analysis, design, implementation, build scripting, and unit testing of the user interface, controller, business logic, and data tiers
- Experience with Java Frameworks including Spring, Spring Boot, Java Server Faces, Grails, and Hibernate
- Experience developing enterprise scale cloud-based applications using Azure services
- Experience developing APIs, web services, microservices
- Experience developing CI/CD pipelines using (GitHub Action, Jenkins) for automation
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies and DevOps practices
- Experience eliciting business requirements and preparing technical design specification
- Experience leading development efforts and mentoring other developers
- Experience developing software both independently and in a team environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills